Thursday, May 12, 2016

20/20 Vision

I promised one of my readers that I would talk a little bit about my vision board. If we've met, I've probably already talked your ear off about it, but that's just because I'm so excited to share the idea with others! But, to really get the full picture of my joyfest, as I like to call it, I need to take you back to the beginning.

Several months ago, I began getting discouraged about life and stressed about goals that I had not yet accomplished, but had been on the mental to-do list for months, if not years. A little at a time,  I was reminded of yet another goal I had abandoned. As the days passed, the feeling of defeat grew stronger and stronger. Heart palpitations, tears, and restlessness, anxiety, and depression were just a few of the symptoms I faced when these incomplete goals surfaced to my memory bank. After several weeks of this, I knew, something had to change! In this case, my mindset AND my behaviors had to change and synchronize. I needed to begin to declare positive things over my life and situations instead of declaring the negative and believing those lies as truth.  This is where the idea of my vision board was born!

A vision board is a visual description of your goals and dreams. I'm sure that's not Webster's definition, so let me explain more fully what I mean by "visual description." Many people create vision boards using a piece of poster board or a bulletin board. I like the functionality of a bulletin board because things can be easily moved around, taken down, or added. I, however, chose the poster board for mine because it's cheap and serves its purpose. I mean, I was pretty desperate for change when I made mine, so something fancy was not a priority. Besides, I should also mention that craftiness and creativity is not, I repeat, NOT in my repertoire. A breakdown tends to occur from the beautiful elaborate ideas in my brain to the hands-on execution. NOT PRETTY. Anyway, back to the vision board.

Once I had my poster board, I used colored paper to write out my goals. Some people will write them out and others will use pictures, magazine cut-outs, and Internet print-offs to display their goals without words. In the end, it's YOUR board, so do what inspires YOU! If you need ideas for yours, I've attached a picture of mine, but you can also Google vision boards and get plenty of ideas.

Some people might stop here and go ahead and display their board, but I chose to take it a step further. I truly believe there is power in our words, so what we declare over ourselves, our goals, and our life plays a large part in how those things pan out in the future. Believing this, I wrote declarations under my goals. Mine were all based on Bible scriptures, but other people might like to add inspirational and motivational thoughts and quotes. Again, make it your own!

Once I finished this, I was ready to display it! I chose to hang it in front of my vanity, so when I go in each morning to get ready, I can physically see the goals I've set in place and I can read, out loud, those scriptures under each goal. I noticed, after just a few days, that my mindset was changing. I was beginning to have hope again! I was believing that I could reach those goals and dreams and I knew that I had my God fighting alongside me, so there was NOTHING that was holding me back!

That's exactly why the vision board was created and it has served me well! I am motivated each morning by declaring truths over my life situations instead of listening to all of the negative voices that try to creep in throughout the day. A daily renewing of the mind. It shifts my focus to the right things, the TRUE things, by correcting my mental vision back to 20/20. So I guess the only question left to ask is, what's your vision?

-Hope on-

No comments:

Post a Comment